Fortnite is one of the most popular games in the world – and it just so happens to be incredibly educational. That is, if you know how to utilize it!
In this article, we’ll explore how you use can use a simple Fortnite lesson plan in the classroom, with a sample lesson plan tailor-made to promote problem-solving in a new, fun and interactive virtual world!
Lesson plan: Exploring Fortnite Creative Mode: Building, Designing, and Collaboration
Age: 10 to 14 years old
- Students will explore Fortnite Creative Mode to understand the fundamentals of game design, creative expression, and collaboration. They will learn to build structures, create game scenarios, and work as a team to design their own custom Fortnite experiences.
- Through discussions, activities, and creative exercises, students will develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and teamwork skills.
Duration: 3-4 class periods (45-60 minutes each)
- Computers or gaming consoles with Fortnite installed (Ensure parental consent and school policies are followed.)
- Video projection equipment
- Whiteboard or chalkboard with markers/chalk
- Art supplies (colored pencils, markers, craft paper, etc.)
- Handouts with discussion questions and creative exercises
Fortnite Lesson Plan:
Day 1: Introduction to Fortnite Creative Mode
- Begin by introducing Fortnite Creative Mode as a sandbox environment where players can build and design their own custom maps and game scenarios.
- Show examples of impressive creations made by the Fortnite community to spark interest and creativity among the students.
- Facilitate a class discussion about the potential benefits of game design, such as problem-solving, creativity, and teamwork.
Day 2: Building and Designing in Fortnite Creative Mode
- Demonstrate the basics of building structures in Fortnite Creative Mode. Show students how to use different materials, ramps, walls, and floors to create various shapes and designs.
- Divide the class into small groups and have each group work on designing a unique structure or mini-game within the Creative Mode.
- Encourage students to plan their designs on paper before starting the actual construction in the game.
Day 3: Collaboration and Game Scenario Creation
- Have each group present their completed game scenarios to the class. Encourage them to explain the thought process behind their designs and how they worked together as a team.
- Conduct a class discussion about the challenges faced during the creation process and the problem-solving strategies used to overcome them.
- Have students reflect individually on their experiences in Fortnite Creative Mode, discussing what they learned about game design, collaboration, and creative expression.
Day 4: Presentations and Reflection
- Provide handouts with reflection prompts related to virtual collaboration, problem-solving, and communication skills learned from Fortnite.
- Encourage students to write individual reflections, sharing specific examples of how these skills can be applied to academic settings, group projects, or extracurricular activities.
- Have a group discussion where students can share their reflections and insights with their peers.
Conclude the lesson by summarizing the key takeaways from the Fortnite Creative Mode experience, emphasizing the importance of creativity, problem-solving, and teamwork in game design. Discuss how these skills can be applied in other areas of life, such as school projects, extracurricular activities, and future careers.
Encourage students to continue exploring their creative abilities and working collaboratively to create meaningful and imaginative experiences in the virtual world and beyond. Consider displaying screenshots or videos of the students’ creations in the classroom or school to celebrate their accomplishments in Fortnite Creative Mode.